Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What do I do if I dispute a charge on my credit card account?

You must

  • notify the bank in writing,
  • enable the bank to identify your name and account number,
  • state why you believe there is a billing error,
  • include the type, date, and amount of the error(s), and
  • send the notice in a timely manner so that the bank receives it, at the address specified for billing inquiries (which may differ from the address for payments), no later than 60 days after the bank sent the first billing statement reflecting the error.

These measures allow you to take advantage of the billing error protections offered by 12 CFR 1026 "Truth in Lending (Regulation Z)" and the disclosed terms of the account agreement.

Once you properly notify the bank about an error on your billing statement within 30 days, the bank must acknowledge that it received this notification, unless the problem has been resolved within that time. The bank must investigate and resolve the issue within two complete billing cycles (but not later than 90 days) after receiving the billing error notice.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us