Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

Am I entitled to get my canceled checks with my bank statement?

Banks are not required by law to return canceled checks. If you receive your checks or copies of checks, it's usually because of your account agreement and your bank's policies.

Depending on your account agreement or the bank's policies, a bank may provide you a "substitute check" (i.e., a paper copy of the front and back of the original check that can be used as if it were the original check).

You should discuss this with your bank.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us