Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I thought that my bank wouldn’t authorize transactions if I didn’t have sufficient funds in my account, but they did, and I incurred a fee. What can I do to avoid overdraft fees?

The bank must have your affirmative consent or agreement to assess an overdraft fee for a one-time debit card transaction. The bank must notify you in writing or electronically about the bank's overdraft service and obtain your affirmative consent to participate. If you had affirmatively consented or agreed to the overdraft service for one-time debit card transactions and wish to revoke that consent, you can do so at any time. You can contact your bank to find out how to revoke consent.

Your decision to revoke your consent does not require that the bank waive or reverse any overdraft fees already assessed on your account, but it will prevent any future fees for one-time debit card transaction overdrafts.

Review your deposit account agreement for policies specific to your bank and your account.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us